Friday, April 15, 2011

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day: April 2011

Today marks the day that I'm one step closer to becoming my mom-- I'm officially joining the ranks as a Garden Blogger with my inaugural Garden Bloggers Bloom Day post for April 2011!

Seattle has been stuck in a pattern of below-normal temps and above-normal rain, so a lot of what's in the garden this April feels behind.

April, so far, feels like the month of Almost.

The leaves of the Japanese Maples have almost opened.


The lilac, who at this time last year was gracing me with sweet bouquets, still has its buds closed tight.


The non-fruiting Kwanzan Cherry is almost there, too.
I just love the way they they look at this stage, when they open out and drop the buds like little pendulums.


The tart cherry tree (variety "CWTH", a.k.a. "came with the house") is also almost there, but definitely behind schedule.  I wonder if this year I'll have pie by the 4th of July?

 
Luckily, the tulips always look great even when they're in the beginning stages.  
This was after the hail storm that we got earlier this week.
All our tulips were brought over from our old rental house in February of 2007.


This one has such nice coloring! 


The evergreen Clematis has had a rough winter, but it's hanging in there, giving us a few more spring blooms that the hummingbirds appreciate.


The Magnolia tree never looks amazing, but the sooner it blooms & leafs out, the sooner we aren't able to see through to the old man's house across the street, where he's undoubtedly standing on his front porch in his underwear & robe.


The white scilla are starting now, too.  They're small, and require kneeling on the ground to get a really good look at them, but it's worth it!


Just when I thought I was through touring the yard, I found this happy sentinel of the Northwest spring tucked in the corner of the house.  These blue scilla are everywhere.
I don't think there's a house in Seattle that doesn't have at least a few!


Yours truly-
Tigerlily

5 comments:

  1. I envy you the lilacs more than anything else, Tigerlily! This is a lovely first GBBD, but you're in no danger of becoming your mother... she's always late!

    Annie at the Transplantable Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. This morning, as I stared at my raised bed looking for my carrots, beets, garlic and onions - as I do every morning - Adrienne said, "Eden said the garden is a fail."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those scilla were a nice surprise - if every house in Seattle has them, it must be quite a sight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah lilac...the one and only think I miss about living in the Lilac Village. They were everywhere!

    I can't wait to see your garden in full bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annie- There are more buds on the lilac this spring than I have ever seen- let's hope the weatherman's talk of late freeze doesn't amount to anything!

    Sara- I think we could do an entire post titled "The Seedling Whisperer"...every morning I'm doing the same exact thing, kneeling down looking for signs of life!

    RBell- Yes, it is quite a sight! I know many people who pull them like weeds!

    Susan- I agree. The scent of lilacs is so strongly tied to my memory as a kid. They will always be one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete