Monday, March 28, 2011

Before & After: The Chair

Late Winter/Early Spring found me looking around the house for an inexpensive project to tackle.
The poor, unsuspecting living room chair had no idea what I had planned for it.

A few trips to Joann Fabrics, a run to Home Depot, and an afternoon in the IKEA fabric by-the-yard department supplied me with everything I needed for this fantastic reupholstery project.


I loved this chair when I bought it and the matching couch at a flea market 11 years ago.
While the fabric was faded, filthy, and falling apart, the structure
was still in fine shape, so I didn't want to part with it entirely.


The "skinning" process was high on the gross-meter.
The vacuum was essential, as was a dust mask.


Some interesting artifacts were found between the fabric & frame:
a shopping list, a recipe for getting rid of aphids from your roses,
and an offer for life insurance that expired in 1981.


The foam padding in the seat cushion had completely disintegrated to yellow dust.
I didn't even bother to unzip this until I was outside by the garbage can.


After a thorough vacuuming and dousing with Lysol, the entire chair got fresh batting and interfacing.


 Our long finished basement was quite useful for fabric cutting.
I used all of the old fabric as pattern pieces for the new fabric.
The white paper tags indicate where the piece came from on the chair, as well as the order in which they were removed.


 It was really exciting to finally get the sewing machine & staple gun rolling!


Just like Lieutenant Dan, she got new legs.
I picked these unfinished wood legs up at Home Depot.


 Management Approved!


Before and After


This was such a rewarding project to work on- I can't wait to get my hands on our couch!



Yours truly- Tigerlily

No comments:

Post a Comment